Coming together in the 

Restaurant Schiffergesellschaft

Big Hall of Schiffergesellschaft with historischen benchesThe "Big Hall" in the Restaurant Schiffergesellschaft

The Schiffergesellschaft is a place and an institution, it'a a flair, a feeling and it is history. Then again it is, for those who are hungry, only a restaurant.

Since its founding some time has passed by. In more than 500 years the city and the house have experienced a lot. Lübeck stayed neutral in the Thirty Years' War, invented the commercial shipping, survived the Seven Years' War, benefitted from the Continental War, suffered from french dominion and eventually was heavily destroyed in Second World War.

The Schiffergesellschaft stayed more or less out of trouble all these centuries. The Big Hall hasn't changed since its first build. Other rooms, like the Captains Room or the two halls Hanse-Room and Captains Saloon have comfortably travelled the tradition trough all these years.

One thing hasn't changed in all these centuries: The Schiffergesellschaft is a place of encounter, a place where Business People, Societies, Lovebirds and of course people with a passion for history meet. An evening in the Schiffergesellschaft should always be considered an evening amoungst others. The tradition being held up in the first place is the coming together and socialising.

Today we enjoy having a modern kitchen in the house, that enables us to enrich the being together with a wide variety of traditional and modern food and even on days with no free place left still is able to perform well.

There was a sincere change in 2015, when a lot has been done to modernise the house. Visits are still on the rise since then, each year something new develops in the Schiffergesellschaft. "Tradition is never to stand still" is our way to honor the long being of this historic ambience. Or as one can say: "Today are the good old days we are yearning for in ten years".

Florenz ✦ Lübeck ✦ Pisa ✦ Rom ✦ Venedig

The five glories of the Empire

1375 – Emperor Carolus, now known as Charles IV had his kingdom toured extensively, as he moved to the end of the Empire tour to Lübeck, but not without his entourage of bishops, earls and dukes and not without the Empress, including his own entourage. Arrived at the gates, the Emperor and Empress switched on horses to explore the city. It was an event of the century! Monks received the emperor at the castle gate, singing accompanied the visiters on the way into town, distinguished ladies and maids, all decked out in the finest silk and rich decoration, lined the route, the roads were freshly swept, almost like to say, the weather was specially this day presented.

The then 59 year old emperor was preparing a pompous reception, but also the most beautiful party is over and there comes a time of peace, the Emperor and Empress spent separately. Not quite separately, because between the Travelmanns house, now Löwenapotheke, and opposite the house on the other side of today‘s King Street in the residence of the emperors the City Council had built a wooden bridge from the window of the Imperial bedchamber to the window Empress Elisabeth handed. The bridge was richly decorated and well attended. The curious people gathered every evening under the bridge to attend the visit Carolus‘ in his empress.

At night, it is reported, burned during the visit of the Emperor so many lights that it was as bright as day. For the days of the Imperial visit Lübeck had become a Midsummer Night‘s Dream. This must have been a very special time for the emperor. His words of thanks were richly adorned, when he came to thank the City Council for the reception. He claimed the Council „masters“, a very special honor at that time, too much honor for the mayor Pleskow who asked the Emperor to treat him as subjects. The Emperor then answered: „The old directories Our Tresekammer from our in God resting forefathers, have that this city is one of the five men towns of the kingdom, and that their counsel people are among the aldermen and councilors of the Emperor, to may enter into him when it please them; have maintained as well as your ancestors.“

Statue von Kaiser Karl IV. in Prag | 50°5'10"N 14°24'50"E

A badge of honor called Lübeck in the same breath as Florence, Rome, Venice and Pisa – cities being famous for their beauty and tradition. Only 26 years before founding the Schiffergesellschaft our beautiful Lübeck had won by his qualities the reputation and goodwill of his emperor. Qualities that have preserved to the present day are Lübeck.

At the time of Emperor Charles IV, Lübeck was with 30 thousand inhabitants the second largest city in the German region. In size Lübeck has been overtaken, the beauty we have maintained. In the spirit as in architecture.

The History of Schiffergesellschaft


For the first time a property across the street of St. Jacobi is documented. It is what today is called Breite Straße 2.

26. Dezember 1401

Establishing the Schiffergesellschaft as Skt. Nicholas guild. The purpose of the guild is described as „to aid and comfort the living and the dead, and all who are looking for their honest and keep in the shipping industry.“. beschrieben.

um 1530

The time of the Reformation changed the religious landscape in Europe. Guilds fighting for their existence forced them to merge. The guild of St. Anne (est. 1495) and the Skt. Nicolaus guild join together to form a professional body for seafarers. They call themselves „Schippern Selshup“.


The Schiffergesellschaft buys the house and grounds across from St. Jacobi for 940 marks.


The new building of Schiffergesellschaft was rebuilt and neighboring buildings were purchased. 18 dwellings and the historic hall preserved to this day emerged during this work.


The Hanseatic maritime law was passed. The Schiffergesellschaft at the time is now an institution for navigation, which goes far beyond the social commitment originally described. Ship passes, Ship taxes, legal matters, mediation tasks, guarding the harbor, all this was the responsibility of the Schiffergesellschaft. 


The compulsory guild was abolished, the Schiffergesellschaft lost members and so much needed revenue. After the debt had grown to 4000 Courant Mark the decision was made to make the public parts of the building accessible, and to lease as a restaurant. By leasing income the financial future of Schiffergesellschaft was secured for the moment.


A new and still valid statute is designed and approved. It has that member of the ‚Schiffergesellschaft‘ can only be who has the patent on Captain Grand Voyage (AG / A6). Applicants must show that they lived a ship, for whose guidance the above-mentioned patent is prescribed and live in Lübeck or environment.


Reichs-Minister of Justice Franz Gurtner coins the term of „Gleichschaltung“, triggering a wave of expropriations from. To avoid falling victim to this development, the Schiffergesellschaft became a non-profit organization.


The Schiffergesellschaft is extensively restored.


The Schiffergesellschaft is an association by legal enactment. It is managed by the Board of the Association. The restaurant is since March 2015 leased to the EngelHöhne oHG.