The History of Schiffergesellschaft
For the first time a property across the street of St. Jacobi is documented. It is what today is called Breite Straße 2.
26. Dezember 1401
Establishing the Schiffergesellschaft as Skt. Nicholas guild. The purpose of the guild is described as „to aid and comfort the living and the dead, and all who are looking for their honest and keep in the shipping industry.“. beschrieben.
The time of the Reformation changed the religious landscape in Europe. Guilds fighting for their existence forced them to merge. The guild of St. Anne (est. 1495) and the Skt. Nicolaus guild join together to form a professional body for seafarers. They call themselves „Schippern Selshup“.
The Schiffergesellschaft buys the house and grounds across from St. Jacobi for 940 marks.
The new building of Schiffergesellschaft was rebuilt and neighboring buildings were purchased. 18 dwellings and the historic hall preserved to this day emerged during this work.
The Hanseatic maritime law was passed. The Schiffergesellschaft at the time is now an institution for navigation, which goes far beyond the social commitment originally described. Ship passes, Ship taxes, legal matters, mediation tasks, guarding the harbor, all this was the responsibility of the Schiffergesellschaft.
The compulsory guild was abolished, the Schiffergesellschaft lost members and so much needed revenue. After the debt had grown to 4000 Courant Mark the decision was made to make the public parts of the building accessible, and to lease as a restaurant. By leasing income the financial future of Schiffergesellschaft was secured for the moment.
A new and still valid statute is designed and approved. It has that member of the ‚Schiffergesellschaft‘ can only be who has the patent on Captain Grand Voyage (AG / A6). Applicants must show that they lived a ship, for whose guidance the above-mentioned patent is prescribed and live in Lübeck or environment.
Reichs-Minister of Justice Franz Gurtner coins the term of „Gleichschaltung“, triggering a wave of expropriations from. To avoid falling victim to this development, the Schiffergesellschaft became a non-profit organization.
The Schiffergesellschaft is extensively restored.
The Schiffergesellschaft is an association by legal enactment. It is managed by the Board of the Association. The restaurant is since March 2015 leased to the EngelHöhne oHG.