The History of Schiffergesellschaft

1229

For the first time a property across the street of St. Jacobi is documented. It is what today is called Breite Straße 2.

26. Dezember 1401

Establishing the Schiffergesellschaft as Skt. Nicholas guild. The purpose of the guild is described as „to aid and comfort the living and the dead, and all who are looking for their honest and keep in the shipping industry.“.

around 1530

The time of the Reformation changed the religious landscape in Europe. Guilds fighting for their existence forced them to merge. The guild of St. Anne (est. 1495) and the Skt. Nicolaus guild join together to form a professional body for seafarers. They call themselves „Schippern Selshup“.

1535

The Schiffergesellschaft buys the house and grounds across from St. Jacobi for 940 marks.

1538

The new building of Schiffergesellschaft was rebuilt and neighboring buildings were purchased. 18 dwellings and the historic hall preserved to this day emerged during this work.

1614

The Hanseatic maritime law was passed. The Schiffergesellschaft at the time is now an institution for navigation, which goes far beyond the social commitment originally described. Ship passes, Ship taxes, legal matters, mediation tasks, guarding the harbor, all this was the responsibility of the Schiffergesellschaft. 

1866

The compulsory guild was abolished, the Schiffergesellschaft lost members and so much needed revenue. After the debt had grown to 4000 Courant Mark the decision was made to make the public parts of the building accessible, and to lease as a restaurant. By leasing income the financial future of Schiffergesellschaft was secured for the moment.

1869

A new and still valid statute is designed and approved. It has that member of the ‚Schiffergesellschaft‘ can only be who has the patent on Captain Grand Voyage (AG / A6). Applicants must show that they lived a ship, for whose guidance the above-mentioned patent is prescribed and live in Lübeck or environment.

1933

Reichs-Minister of Justice Franz Gurtner coins the term of „Gleichschaltung“, triggering a wave of expropriations from. To avoid falling victim to this development, the Schiffergesellschaft became a non-profit organization.

1972-76

The Schiffergesellschaft is extensively restored.

Today

The Schiffergesellschaft is an association by legal enactment. It is managed by the Board of the Association. The restaurant is since March 2015 leased to the EngelHöhne oHG.

Florenz ✦ Lübeck ✦ Pisa ✦ Rom ✦ Venedig

The five glories of the Empire

Statue of Karl IV. in Prague | 50°5'10"N 14°24'50"E

1375, Emperor Carolus, now known as Charles IV had his kingdom toured extensively, as he moved to the end of the Empire tour to Lübeck, but not without his entourage of bishops, earls and dukes and not without the Empress, including his own entourage.
Arrived at the gates, the Emperor and Empress switched on horses to explore the city. It was an event of the century! Monks received the emperor at the castle gate, singing accompanied the visiters on the way into town, distinguished ladies and maids, all decked out in the finest silk and rich decoration, lined the route, the roads were freshly swept, almost like to say, the weather was specially this day presented.

The then 59 year old emperor was preparing a pompous reception, but also the most beautiful party is over and there comes a time of peace, the Emperor and Empress spent separately. Not quite separately, because between the Travelmanns house, now Löwenapotheke, and opposite the house on the other side of today‘s King Street in the residence of the emperors the City Council had built a wooden bridge from the window of the Imperial bedchamber to the window Empress Elisabeth handed. The bridge was richly decorated and well attended. The curious people gathered every evening under the bridge to attend the visit Carolus‘ in his empress.

At night, it is reported, burned during the visit of the Emperor so many lights that it was as bright as day. For the days of the Imperial visit Lübeck had become a Midsummer Night‘s Dream.
This must have been a very special time for the emperor. His words of thanks were richly adorned, when he came to thank the City Council for the reception. He claimed the Council „masters“, a very special honor at that time, too much honor for the mayor Pleskow who asked the Emperor to treat him as subjects. The Emperor then answered: „The old directories Our Tresekammer from our in God resting forefathers, have that this city is one of the five men towns of the kingdom, and that their counsel people are among the aldermen and councilors of the Emperor, to may enter into him when it please them; have maintained as well as your ancestors.“

A badge of honor called Lübeck in the same breath as Florence, Rome, Venice and Pisa – cities being famous for their beauty and tradition.
Only 26 years before founding the Schiffergesellschaft our beautiful Lübeck had won by his qualities the reputation and goodwill of his emperor. Qualities that have preserved to the present day are Lübeck.

At the time of Emperor Charles IV, Lübeck was with 30 thousand inhabitants the second largest city in the German region. In size Lübeck has been overtaken, the beauty we have maintained. In the spirit as in architecture.